Nutritional properties and benefits of figs, a sweet pleasure very healthy

Past the time of the brevas, already late summer comes one of the most Mediterranean fruits, exquisite and delicate, also very short season. The figs, green or purple, they are a delight already highly appreciated in antiquity, valued both for their flavor and for their medicinal and nutritional properties.

We consider it a fruit, although, being more botanically accurate, the fig is an infrutescence, just like pineapple or strawberries. At the beginning it is a kind of sack that keeps the flowers of the fig tree. Once fertilized, it thickens, forming the fleshy "fruit." The fruit itself is the tiny seeds. All these peculiarities are transferred to its gastronomic and nutritional qualities, turning the fig into a little jewel of the summer.

Live to the Palate Three toasts with figs that will delight and surprise everyone

They are often distinguished three great varieties: green, bluish and black, much darker in color. Green figs are the most appreciated for being usually more juicy, aromatic and sweet, with a skin easier to remove. However, in terms of their properties, they all share practically the same characteristics, similar to those of the brevas.

Nutritional composition of fresh figs

According to the data collected by the Spanish Food Composition Database (BEDCA), fresh fig provides about 70 kcal per 100 g of fresh edible product. It is, therefore, a somewhat more caloric fruit than, for example, apple (50 kcal per 100 g), peach (39 kcal per 100 g) or melon (27 kcal per 100 g), although its size is Much smaller.

Fig is a source of carbohydrates, water and fiber, as well as vitamins and minerals

As a fresh vegetable food, it is also rich in water (80.3 g per 100 g of edible ration) and its fat content is negligible. Essentially provides carbohydrates (about 16 g per 100 g), being rich in natural sugars from the fruit itself, and therefore a good source of energy. It is also satiating, because it contains 2.5 g of total dietary fiber, compared to 1 g of melon.

If 93% of the fig is composed of carbohydrates, that remaining 7% corresponds to vegetable proteins, specifically it contributes 1.2 g protein, an amount similar to banana per 100 g of weight. As we have commented, fats are practically anecdotal, highlighting if just a 0.21 g of total polyunsaturated fatty acids.

Live to the PalateFive canned recipes with figs to enjoy this fruit for months

As for vitamins and minerals, fresh fig It stands out for its vitamin A and vitamin C content, with some slight traces of vitamin B-6, and a small presence of essential amino acids (niacin, thiamine and riboflavin).

Very interesting is your mineral contribution. Figs are a good vegetable source of calcium, with 38 mg per 100 g of edible portion, of potassium (270 mg), phosphorus and magnesium, in addition to small traces of selenium and zinc, yes, much less relevant.

Properties and benefits of figs

Considering its nutritional composition, the consumption of fresh fig as part of a balanced diet adds numerous beneficial properties, like all plant foods. Although it also highlights its antioxidant power, protection against free radicals and other external aggressions, fig is first and foremost a great source of energy, fiber and water.

Its moderate consumption is perfectly compatible with slimming diets, since a ration of a few units does not add as many calories in fresh, and also They help us feel satiated, being able to help calm the craving for sweet or peck less recommended foods.

Because of their fiber and water content they are a good ally against constipationThey can help prevent certain diseases such as colon cancer and contribute to the proper functioning of the digestive system. It is also an easy fruit to eat, chew and digest, unless gastroenteritis or a similar condition is suffered.

They are perfectly suitable for people of all ages, especially recommended to athletes or to those who practice intense physical activity. Of course, people with specific pathologies, such as diabetes or kidney failure, will have to monitor their consumption and consult with their doctor to adapt their intake to their specific needs.

In VitónicaHealthy ideas to add figs to your diet this season

We must remember that dried figs lose a lot of water and concentrate all their nutrients, also multiplying the amounts of sugars. The dried version is much more caloric, and also has more fiber and minerals. So they are a very energetic food, ideal for the practice of intense sport.

In this way, incorporating fresh figs into our diet at this time we will be adding a lot of nutrients beneficial, in addition to enjoying your gastronomic pleasure. In sweet or savory recipes, there are many ways to combine this exquisite fruit.

Video: The Cheapest Healthiest Fruit in the World You Haven't Eaten (January 2020).